Monday, September 5, 2011

DIY Paper Heart Headboard

To everyone visiting from Pinterest. Thank you! I'm planning another heart paper craft for this year, so please follow this blog via GFC, BlogLovin or RSS or my "my blog" Pinterest board if you don't want to miss it.

Hey everyone! So I'm finally sitting down to write up the tutorial for the craft I mentioned last week. I made a collection of hanging paper hearts to hang above our bed.

More close-ups below.

I know it might look a little bit, maybe a lot, childish but when it comes to hearts I can't help myself. It's simple: hearts just make me happy. I'll have years to have a formal headboard and serious, adult art. But for now, I'll choose hearts. The best part about this craft is that when I turn the fan on at night, the hearts sound like rain as they hit the wall. Maybe, it's a little romantic? Oh, and I like it much better than my half-assed attempt at an art clothesline. Don't you?


--------------------------------------------

Here's how to make one.

You'll need:
- a few sheets of cardstock in whatever colors you like. I used yellow, cream & white.
- a paper punch. Mine was heart-shaped, but you could do leaves, stars, dots, squares etc.
- a safety pin or needle
- scissors
- fishing line. I used .25mm.
- a plastic or wooden dowel

How to:
First, punch out as many shapes as you need from the cardstock. I used about 144 (12 hearts per strand, 12 strands). If you cut strips and punch in opposite directions, you can get more out of each sheet. 


Once you have all the shapes punched, gently poke a hole at the top and bottom of one heart with your pin/needle. You can also choose to hang your shape on a diagonal or sideways.


Cut a length of fishing line. I cut mine the length of my dowel. String the fishing line through the top hole away from you and then through the bottom hole coming toward you.



Repeat with as many shapes as you need. Then cut another strand of fishing line and repeat, repeat, repeat. I found it helpful to tape my strands up on the wall as I went to prevent them from tangling.  

Once you have all of your strands completed, tie each one to your dowel leaving at least 1inch 1-1/2 inches between each strand to keep them from tangling.


Tie two short lengths of fishing line near each end of the dowel and hang using a couple of thumbtacks. And now, all that's left is to enjoy your new, cheap, easy art.


The view when laying in bed :)

I still have a bunch of hearts left over and have visions of making a mobile for a nursery. The only problem is... I don't know anyone with a baby to give it to. To my friends, can someone have a baby so I can make you a mobile?

Love and hearts,
 Janelle

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I love the hearts! I might steal this and use it in my new apartment! I think it looks great-nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun idea!!!! I could do this with my bird punch!!! Thanks for the tutorial!Visiting from FTLOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute idea. I would really like the sound. Rain is so soothing. Stopping by from FTLOB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this quick, easy and inexpensive art project! I like how you are using it as a headboard. Truly one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the view from the bed. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang it all you 5 people that commented before me!! ha just kidding but I can't believe you gave away such a cute idea to one of your readers for absolutely free! Definitely jealous. I seriously love this idea so much. I'm really tempted to make one for my room now but I can't think of where I could put it. Hmm.I'm saving this tutorial for later though for when I figure it out. In fact I just pinned it on my Pinterest so I wouldn't forget about it. :)

    And again Excellent job. You are very very creative. I'm super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments! :)

    Haylee, No one actually claimed it, so the offer still stands if you want it. Oh and thanks for the pin. Off to follow you....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute and easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!