Wednesday, January 30, 2013

sometimes i make lists about the weird stuff i do



 Just an old photo from winter 2011, skating on the Oval

Do any of you remember the column in Glamour called 'Hey, it's OK.."? I don't know if they still run it or not as I stopped reading the magazine. Basically, the feature was a list of things that it's okay to do every once in a while. I liked the concept and how it encouraged people to let their idiosyncrasies show through. It's nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one who doesn't shave their legs for a week in the winter-time. It's not sexy and that's okay.

I also think it's important to be kind to ourselves. I know I can be very hard on myself and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist - except when it comes to my pile of clothing in the corner of my bedroom. That doesn't count! As I move through my twenties I find that it's getting easier to accept my shortcomings. I'm never going to be someone who has it all together and I am 100% fine with that. I'm trying not to beat myself up over the little things. It's a learning process, but a little self-compassion can help so much.

In the spirit of the original column, I made a list of things I do sometimes. Most of these have happened in the last week so they were still fresh in my mind. Some of these are things I refuse to feel bad for and others are just my little quirks. I hope you can relate to some of them!

SOMETIMES I...

- don't do dishes for a whole week. i just let them pile up until i absolutely have to wash them so i can make a meal. sometimes this means we eat our cereal out of tupperware with measuring spoons. i need a dishwasher - a machine, i already have a human one.

- annoy the heck out of my dog by smothering her with love, hugs & unwanted cuddles.


- get hangry. you know, so hungry you get angry. this happens most often after i get home from work and can't decide what to have for supper. you're seriously putting yourself in a bad situation if you try to talk to me in this state. save the important discussions for after i've had the first bite. you'll be so glad you did.

- feel guilty about a comment i made years ago. this happens more often than it should. the people i made these comments to probably never think about what i said, but i'm still haunted. i guess you could say i'm really, really good at overthinking.

- make an English muffin with cream cheese and call it supper.

- get overwhelmed by all of the support of some of the caring people i met at Mount Allison. seriously, the staff at MTA are so generous. i'm so thankful.


- dance like a maniac while i'm cooking or baking. when i made cherry bars on Sunday, I was grooving to some Mo-Town hits. not just dancing, but seriously grooving and twitching. something about prepping food makes me a little crazy.

want to spend the night parked on the couch, preferably with an episode (or three) of Ink Master, Sherlock, Luther or Dexter.

Do you share any of these habits? If you make a list, link it up in the comments! I'd love to read it.

xx Janelle

13 comments:

  1. Totally guilty of #4 too. Me: "Let it go, brain." Brain: "No."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get Hangry on a daily basis! Don't even try to talk to me if my stomachs on empty! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I get hangry too. And the worst part is sometimes I don't even realize why I'm so angry. I sometimes do the same thing with supper too, but instead of an english muffin, its oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's with this Dexter dude? All kinds of people are fascinated by him. Me - I love Criminal Minds on TV. I don't like to admit that I watch it, because it is so dark, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know what it is about Dexter. it took a few episodes for me to get into, but once i was in i was completely obsessed. i like how much depth the characters have.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this, I haven't written a 'sometimes' post for a long time. I would totally annoy my dog in the same way every day if I had one. and dance parties whilst cooking are my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list! :) I mix the hangry with the dishes.. cause I leave stuff FOREVER and then get super angry when nothing is clean. I could prevent it from happening, but I never do... for whatever reason. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful!!! I love this... I never do the dishes, and love english muffins with cheese.

    Fabulous!


    www.thebeanandbear.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!