Just an old photo from winter 2011, skating on the Oval
Do any of you remember the column in Glamour called 'Hey, it's OK.."? I don't know if they still run it or not as I stopped reading the magazine. Basically, the feature was a list of things that it's okay to do every once in a while. I liked the concept and how it encouraged people to let their idiosyncrasies show through. It's nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one who doesn't shave their legs for a week in the winter-time. It's not sexy and that's okay.
I also think it's important to be kind to ourselves. I know I can be very hard on myself and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist - except when it comes to my pile of clothing in the corner of my bedroom. That doesn't count! As I move through my twenties I find that it's getting easier to accept my shortcomings. I'm never going to be someone who has it all together and I am 100% fine with that. I'm trying not to beat myself up over the little things. It's a learning process, but a little self-compassion can help so much.
In the spirit of the original column, I made a list of things I do sometimes. Most of these have happened in the last week so they were still fresh in my mind. Some of these are things I refuse to feel bad for and others are just my little quirks. I hope you can relate to some of them!
- don't do dishes for a whole week. i just let them pile up until i absolutely have to wash them so i can make a meal. sometimes this means we eat our cereal out of tupperware with measuring spoons. i need a dishwasher - a machine, i already have a human one.
- annoy the heck out of my dog by smothering her with love, hugs & unwanted cuddles.
- get hangry. you know, so hungry you get angry. this happens most often after i get home from work and can't decide what to have for supper. you're seriously putting yourself in a bad situation if you try to talk to me in this state. save the important discussions for after i've had the first bite. you'll be so glad you did.
- feel guilty about a comment i made years ago. this happens more often than it should. the people i made these comments to probably never think about what i said, but i'm still haunted. i guess you could say i'm really, really good at overthinking.
- make an English muffin with cream cheese and call it supper.
- get overwhelmed by all of the support of some of the caring people i met at Mount Allison. seriously, the staff at MTA are so generous. i'm so thankful.
- dance like a maniac while i'm cooking or baking. when i made cherry bars on Sunday, I was grooving to some Mo-Town hits. not just dancing, but seriously grooving and twitching. something about prepping food makes me a little crazy.
- want to spend the night parked on the couch, preferably with an episode (or three) of Ink Master, Sherlock, Luther or Dexter.
Do you share any of these habits? If you make a list, link it up in the comments! I'd love to read it.