Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Pride Pockets (Healthy Pizza Pockets)

Good morning! I hope my American readers had a great long weekend.

Today's recipe comes from Amuse Bouche. Whit, who writes the blog, is hilarious and if you like food blogs (which you must because you're here!) then you should check her out. You can read the recipe here, but I'll post my modified instructions here to help you out. Basically Pride Pockets are pizza pops or pockets but instead of being wrapped in god-knows-what they're surrounded by bread! They only take about 30 minutes from start to finish so they're almost as fast as making pizza pockets in the oven and the best part is you can change it up and stuff em with whatever you have on hand! Broccoli & cheddar pockets, greek pockets, meatlovers... 
Pizza Pride Pocket
Modified from Whit's Amuse Bouche
1 loaf of any kind of bread
Shredded Mozzerella
Pepperoni, salami or your meat of choice
Diced onion & green pepper (mushrooms if you like)
1 can or squeeze bottle of pizza sauce (time saver!)
Extra basil?
Salt
Pepper

1.  Preheat the oven to 350. Cut up your meat into very small pieces. Throw it in the pan and brown it with the onions, peppers, sauce, basil, salt & pepper. Add the sauce and stir until thoroughly heated.

2. While this is heating up, cut the crusts off the bread two at a time.

3. When the sauce mixture is heated, put it into a bowl and let it cool just a bit. Grate up some mozzarella and add it to the mixture. 

4. Take about a tsp-tbsp of the mixture and plop it in the centre of one piece of bread. Squish the bread down gently so it doesn't rip. Then crimp the edges of the bread with a fork to lock in the pizza stuff. Pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the tops are nice and crispy and you're done!
*The only big change to the ingredients, was that I used premade pizza sauce. I had some I wanted to use up and it ended up being faster. The only change I made to the actual instructions was to combine the sauce mixture and the cheese before putting it on the bread. Otherwise, I find it harder to keep all of the cheese contained to the middle, but feel free to do it either way.

I think this recipe is fantastic for people with kids, or for those who are kids at heart. They're healthy, nutritious and fun to make. I may have downed 2 of them and then had a little moment of realization that I had just eaten 4 slices of bread... woops. I think these would be great served with a little garden or greek salad, potato salad or pasta salad. Let me know if you give these a go! 
Almost gone...

Thanks for reading!

xo Janelle

2 comments:

  1. These look good! I'm going to try them as soon as I get to the grocery store and buy some bread haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!