Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork

Good morning! Hope your morning is off to a good start. I didn't have a good sleep, but I'm in bed eating some of my favorite oatmeal so I'm pretty happy at the moment. If you read yesterday's post then you know we made pulled pork for supper on Saturday. We were having my Nan, Grandad, Auntie Judy and cousins Hannah & Philip over. I made a double batch (Hello leftovers!) but the recipe that follows is a single one.

Now if you read this blog at all, you know that I love simple recipes and this one is just that. You pop the pork in the slow cooker and go about your day for the next 8 hours or so. Then it takes about another 15 minutes of work to get it all ready. For this reason, it's great to make when you're having guests because no one likes to spend the whole time in the kitchen and miss out on the fun, right? Anyway, here is the "recipe":

Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork

Serves at least 4

1/2 large onion, diced
1 pork roast, shoulder or butt
1-3 c. apple juice
1 bottle of BBQ sauce
1 bag of coleslaw (or cabbage very thinly sliced)
coleslaw salad dressing
4+ buns, Kaisers are good
salt & pepper


1. Put your onions in the bottom of the cooker and trim the fat off of your roast.


2. Put your roast in the cooker, pour the apple juice over the top and season the roast with salt & pepper. The apple juice should be about 1/3 up the side of the cooker, if not, add a bit more.


 3. Set the cooker on low for 8 hours and go do some shopping or dancing or play with your puppy.


4. When the pork is looking pretty roasted, mix the coleslaw with the dressing. Add just enough dressing so the cabbage is coated, but don't drown it.


5. With a slotted spoon & a fork, transfer the pork to a large bowl, removing the bones & fat as you go. Shred the pork very thinly by pulling it apart with 2 forks. Try to break up all of the pieces so it's tender.


 6. Add a bottle of BBQ sauce, drain the slowcooker and plop the pork right back in the slowcooker for about 30 minutes.

7. Cut your buns, add the pork, some extra sauce & a big spoonful of coleslaw. Then, eat.
the final product, melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness.

I usually use just any old BBQ sauce, but this time I used PC's Pulled Pork Sauce.To be honest though, it was just okay. I think I'd rather use the Kraft stuff I used last time. For me, this sauce was too tangy and not smoky or spicy enough. Everyone else loved it though and the pork and bun were soft and tender. So I'd say if you're trying this out to just go with your favorite BBQ sauce because you'll be tasting a lot of it in this sandwich! Oh, and and trust me on this one, don't skip on the coleslaw. It brings a nice creaminess and it breaks up the strong taste of the BBQ sauce.

Do you like pulled pork? Would you try this one? Let me know your thoughts!

xo Janelle

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!