Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Weekend Recap: the one with all the first times

weekend shopping list.
 
I'm back from my 4-day whirlwind tour of Toronto that I mentioned here and it was a blast! It was my second time in Toronto, but it was my first time meeting a drag queen, getting a manicure and eating at PickleBarrel (not picklebottom, as I kept saying). I won't bore you with all the details (that's what my mom, nanny & D are for), but I'll give you the abbreviated version. Gather 'round!

*Come back tomorrow for some juicy food photos of where and what we ate, if you`re interested.

Friday

Arrived in TO around 12:30 and made my way via shuttle & subway to the hotel. It definitely looks nicer in the photos but it was huge, clean and bedbug free. What more can you ask for? Val shows up not long after I arrive and we decide to walk around the Eaton centre for a bit before hitting up Golden Thai for supper. Best. Meal. Ever. We were laughing so hard. I think the waiter thought we were lushes after only 2 drinks, but our 'charm' scored us a free dessert. Awww yeah.

Val really liked that statue in the back. Especially his loincloth.

Later on that night we got an invite to meet some of Val's friends at a bar on Church, so off we went. Turns out it was a drag bar. Awesome! Val's friends were sweet and we even got to dance for a bit. Most of the drag ladies were pretty funny and one had nicer lingerie than I did, so the next day I bought 2 bras. Not joking.

Saturday

We met up with our friend L at the market, but only got to spend a couple hours together before she had to head out. We also picked up Sarah from the bus station! We spent the day drinking Starbucks, shopping and eating. 2 out of 3 of us cried accidentally while sitting on a mall couch. It happens.

When we finally got back to the hotel it was already 10pm. If we wanted to get in to the club for free we had to motor. So we got all dressed up, put some music on and had a couple drinks. I plopped down on the bed just to have a little rest and that was it. My lazy butt was in for the night. So we snuggled and chatted, all dressed up in our party outfits. In my defense, we had been walking around for 12 hours....



We are like 80 yr olds, without the wrinkles. For realz.

Sunday

Brunch! With 5 girls from Mount Allison. It was so nice to see some familiar faces and find out what everyone is up to now. We said bye to Sarah, shopped some more & then Val and I broke off to go get a manicure (my first one!). I'm really happy with how it turned out. 

Turquoise & Caicos OR Mint Candy Apple by Essie.

That night Val & I did a little of this:



And then we watched Taken on tele and wandered around to find food. Nice little night.

Monday

Val & I woke up early-ish, checked out, grabbed breakfast & commuted to her apartment. She had class so I just hung out in the student centre reading a book. I got to meet some of her friends and then flew out an hour late. I finally landed in Halifax at 11:20 and arrived home a bit before midnight. 
Today at work I was pretty exhausted but it was definitely worth it. It's nice to escape to the big city every once in a while. And, since I took a vacation day yesterday... today is another short week!

Also, I know it sounds like all we did is shop and trust me we did a lot. But, I only bought a few things. A handmade beret from the market, some earrings on sale, 2 bras and an unmentionable. See? I was good.

miss you, you crazy!

Anyway, time to cuddle up with D & Abby to watch the new Dexter. Thanks for reading about my adventure!

Did you have any adventures lately?

2 comments:

  1. What fun adventures. A weekend with gal pals is so necessary now and then. I love your nail polish color and your list: snacks - junky & healthy. Way to have balance. ;)

    -Sara-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. It's all about the balance! We didn't even end up getting junky snacks... unless you count Smart Pop popcorn. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!